top of page

Marta at the hospital – screams in pain

Anita and Lety went to the village to take Marta to the hospital. Her father wasn’t drunk so he said he’d come,  along with the Mom, the nursing baby and a younger sister. So the seven of them went to the hospital in Antigua.

I will post more, but for the moment here’s what happend: short version.  They went to the emergency room and were told to go to another area. That other area said to go to yet another part of the hospital. Then they said to go back to the first area. There, they said no doctor was available and to go back to the emergency room. The doctor at the emergency room was very gruff in telling Anita that they have to go to the other area because there IS a doctor available. He went with Anita and was told the same thing – no doctor was available.

The doctor was gruff and rude and grudgingly agreed to take care of Marta. He stuck a catheter in Marta and she started screaming with pain. The doctor said that it wasn’t a problem and she would feel better soon. The parents and Lety started crying to see Marta in such pain. Anita said the doctor would not remove it even though Marta was screaming and pulling her hair out.

So Anita took her out of that hospital and went to a doctor we know, Dr. Oscar, in another town. Marta screamed all the way and Anita and everyone was so upset, and hurried to get to the doctor’s office. Dr. Oscar removed the catheter and immediately the pain left and Marta stopped screaming.

Ultrasound seems to indicate that Marta has a severe infection which is producing fluid that is “leaking” out. This Dr. Oscar also found out something that none of us had known, not even Marta’s parents. When Marta had surgery to remove that huge stone (see post below), they discovered that her bowels were “stuffed” to the point where she couldn’t have a bowel movement. Stuffed with worms! So they had to cut open her bowel and remove a large amount of worms.

Marta is now taking a strong antibiotic. And we are going to de-worm her family next week. More than likely, they have been using and drinking dirty water because their water has been shut off for seven months (she can’t pay the $2.88/mo). Next week, we hope to get her water re-connected again.


bottom of page